Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Friday, October 12, 2007

This morning after breakfast we gathered for a time of prayer. We really appreciated Adriana joining us. She often has great spiritual insight.

All of our girls have mixed very well with the locals here in Caneo. Annalise was busy helping Lordida, one of the ladies, strip leaves off to feed her pig. Adriana climbed a tree with about half a dozen children. Alayna and Alexie are always surrounded by Filipino girls and spend a good part of the day playing card games together.
It bothers me the litter I see all over the Philippines. I spent about 20 minutes picking up trash. I filled a large shopping bag but there is still an abundance in the area.

After lunch, I enjoyed playing cards with Alexie and three of the local girls. The boys were invited to join in but would only giggle when asked. They did stay to watch however.

I walked along the rice terraces with the pastor’s wife, Bridget, to go to the other side of the village. She was helping me inquire about tapis, the traditional skirts. Obviously as I don’t speak the language, Bridget did all the talking. It’s interesting to me the women sitting together and weaving. Kind of like the old time quilting bees of the States. I sense a great amount of cooperation rather than the competition I would expect. After all, unlike a craft or hobby a woman might have in the States, this is to support her family.

Meanwhile, Pastor Rudy went to discuss purchasing a pig for Sunday’s dinner. I asked if I was going to have to carry the pig back. Pastor teased, “Yes, you and Shirley.” Good he was just teasing as I’ve already proven just walking along the terrace walls is challenging enough for me let alone carrying an enormous pig!
Lisa

2 comments:

  1. It was great to hear from you all again! You are not far from our thoughts, but it is good to see everyone's faces! The pictures are awesome; I can only imagine how beautiful it must actually be there. Of course the pictures of the children always bring a smile to my face - Love and hugs to all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great updates! You guys are always able to paint a wonderful picture of what you are doing there. Your girls ability to melt in and get involved is amazing to me. Keep it up and God bless.

    ReplyDelete