Thursday, October 18, 2007

Saturday, October 13, 2007 from Lisa


The highlight of my day was going with Bridget, Pastor Rudy’s wife, to Susan’s (the first S is not pronounced) home. It was quite a climb up. It is much larger than the rest and has much more space around it. Most of the other homes are smashed almost on top of each other by comparison. Two young boys were bare and playing with water. Bathing, perhaps? There were a couple mangy dogs along with some pups as well as some chickens were pecking around. A couple of young girls about Alexie’s age were working on some crafts. Another girl, possibly Alayna’s age, was pounding rice. I was curious about that. Why was she doing that when the older girls were not?

Bridget spoke to Susan and her daughter, Cheryl, the mother of the naked boys. Once in a while they would laugh – could it be about me? No matter, I just smiled and teased them about having a secret language.

I was curious about Susan’s age. I asked Bridget if it was okay to ask. She said it would be okay, so I asked her. She thought for a while and asked Cheryl it seemed, fifty-some. She looks much older. I’m sure because life there is so difficult. They work so hard.

Cheryl is 29. They asked about my age. I always think it is fun to have them guess. Cheryl guessed 21. She must have forgotten that I was the mother of 4 daughters. They were surprised when I told my true age, telling me I looked much younger.

They went back to their talk so I went to help the young girl pound rice. This resulted in more laughter from my new friends. Susan came over to give me a demonstration. She chants with each strike of the wooden pestle. Then I again attempted to pound the rice. Bridget came over to lend a hand. Soon the 2 of them were pounding away while I watched.

After the rice, another of Susan’s daughters came out of the house holding her little baby. I quickly asked if I could hold her baby. What a joy to hold the little 2 week old baby girl. I stood and rocked her the rest of our visit. When we said something about needing to go back, Susan invited us to stay for lunch. We said the others had already prepared lunch for us and were expecting us. Susan had picked a squash from her garden. This, I soon learned, was a gift for me. She also bagged the rice I “helped” pound and handed it to Bridget for us to take.

I left with words that I would love to return and bring my daughters. It is difficult to explain how I felt except to say I really enjoyed my time there.

Back “home” Bridget and I quickly ate lunch the others had saved for us. Then it was off to the water for some washing. Bridget and her 2 young sons, Nigel and Jesse, joined us. It felt good to clean up. Annalise really had fun playing with Nigel. The two 5 year olds stood in the stream and splashed each other.

As soon as we were back and dressed it was time to go for the home visits. Thomas went with Rudy and I went with Bridget. Bridget and I went to Hannah’s home. On the way I was informed that I would speak and Esther, the TDTS student, would translate. Hannah is unable to walk. Something happened at the birth of her 9th child and now she is unable to go to church. But she has a strong desire to learn more of God’s Word. Each Saturday Bridget goes to Hannah’s home to teach and encourage her. I spoke to Hannah about prayer, led intercession on her behalf, and then asked her, “How can I pray for her?” She asked to pray that her children would have good health and God would provide for her two daughters’ needs while in school.

I prayed for her. Not only what she mentioned, but for Hannah. I was touched that just like Solomon when asked by God, “What would you like?” didn’t ask for riches but asked for wisdom so as to bless others. Hannah’s thoughts were not for herself. I asked that just as God honored Solomon with wisdom and riches, God would honor Hannah and give her complete health and strength that she would walk and her testimony would bring glory to God.

The needs are so great in this country…it can be overwhelming. Yet they are a people with such joy.

We returned “home” just in time to see the young men of the village kill the pig. I only watched them hold the pig and slit his throat then hold it over the fire to burn off its hair. The smell was very unpleasant. I avoided the rest of the process. It was enough to see the various pieces and parts later. The head is usually given to whoever does the butchering. Another reason for me not to lend a helping hand!

At supper, Howard surprised us with Coca-Cola, Pepsi, and cookies he had brought back from Bontoc. Such a treat!

We gathered together on a nearby porch for a time of worship. One of the older ladies, bless her heart, fell asleep. She probably was up at dawn pounding rice, cooking, and working in the fields… Our time of worship was a wonderful time.

Thomas and the other men completed the bunk beds, so for our last night in Caneo some of us got to sleep in a bed. Since there are still no mattresses, it was not much different than sleeping on the wood floor.


Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Tom and Lisa - wonderful job in your ministry. What a joy to see folks like these eagerly seeking God and His word........and enjoying your presence.

    Between your blog and Full Quiver I get a great picture of the trials and blessings you are passing through.

    Please know we are praying for you and think of you often. Caneo would have been a real challenge for me (Bontac too) but ya'll carried the torch for us.

    I know you've impacted many lives (ya'll and the girls) yet have also received a blessing from the Lord in turn. Keep up the work for Jesus.

    Denny and Twink

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom and Lisa - Bless you for all you are doing and receiving. Wow, Canoe is a challenge (knew it would be.but still!), but these folks do love Jesus, work hard, and live simply.

    Keep up the great work - you've impacted many lives, just as Jesus has impacted yours as you serve. Bless His Holy Name.

    Love in Jesus Overwhelming Love,

    Twink and Denny

    ReplyDelete