Saturday, October 20, 2007

Sunday, October 14, 2007

The TDTS students, Tribal Discipleship Training School students who have been cooking for us, were up very early preparing for the celebration dinner. Besides the boiled pork, there were potatoes, pancit, and rice. So where do you get plates to serve a village of people? Banana tree bark of course!
But I am getting ahead of myself. First, there was the church service. The older women did a dance along with a chant. All were dressed in the traditional tapis. Some had beaded “necklaces” in their hair. Others had snake vertebrae. My friend, Susan, was among the dancers. One woman’s feet were so flat and toes twisted, it was a wonder she could walk, let alone dance.


The high school girls did some songs. I loved their interpretive dance, very beautiful.

Then it was time for the younger girls. They were all in their tapis and white blouses. I was surprised to see their faces with make-up on as I have not seen anyone here with make-up on. The girls’ lips and cheeks were bright pink. They sang a beautiful song. I wonder how long it took them to learn it. It was quite lengthy but they had memorized it.
Testimonies were shared by Kindle, TDTS student, and Kevin. Leon gave the message and then Natalie spoke. But all paled in comparison to Adriana’s message. Leon had invited anyone who had something on their heart to come up and share. Adriana came up after Natalie finished. Adriana shared how fear is a choice as is the peace Jesus offers. Tears streamed down my face as I heard my 12 year old boldly proclaiming the word God clearly given her to the village of Caneo. I am in great anticipation of what He will do through her. Many mentioned how touched they were by her words.
Pastor Rudy spoke, summarizing the Word spoken and then had the elders of the church come forward so we could pray for them. All women, Susan’s daughter, Cheryl, was among them. It was a blessing for me to be able to pray for her. She gave me a hug and said she would be talking to me by-and-by.

Time for the feast. An assembly line was in place to dish up pork, pancit, and rice on the banana tree bark plates. So much food…so many sitting and eating together. Sadly, Annalise was sick so she slept through not only the meal but the music and dancing that followed. It is hard to believe she could sleep through the beating of the drums directly beneath her.

The men with the beating of the drums (actually, brass gongs) provided the music while a couple danced. It was great fun to watch, yet Thomas and I were not allowed to remain spectators. Soon we were in the center surrounded by the watchful eyes of virtually everyone in the village. It is good they have such grace for westerners. They just smiled as we stumbled around. We quickly passed the honor to Kevin and Becky.

Soon it was time to pack up and say good-bye to our dear new friends.

I must say there were moments I said a little prayer as the jeepney was leaning a wee bit much for my comfort on our way back to Bontoc. But our soft beds sure looked great!

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment