Sunday, May 1, 2011

Dazzled!

We recently watched the movie Les Miserables. I found the story so compelling that I decided to read the book to get a better understanding of the grace the author is trying to portray. The beginning of the book describes the character of the Bishop of D---. I was struck by the line
He did not study God; he was dazzled by Him.
Wow! Do I study God or am I dazzled by Him? Of course to study God is not bad, but why do I study? I study so I can know more. I study so I can help people understand. I study so I can teach. But when was the last time I gave myself over to being dazzled? I Corinthians 8:2 keeps going through my mind as I consider this.
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.
(I encourage you to read 1 Corinthians 8:1-3.)

This goes beyond reading. Am I dazzled at the signs and wonders around me or do I just take everything for granted? Maybe when Jesus said that the wicked ask for a miraculous sign, He was recognizing that those who love God are already dazzled because they are awake to who He is and what He is doing. Perhaps the wicked ask for a sign because they think they know something but really just don't get it.

I want to live a dazzled life!

Grace,
Tom

p.s. Because the libraries are limited here, we are glad to have a Kindle. Les Miserables is in the public domain and is one of a great number of books we were able to download to our Kindle for free.


No comments:

Post a Comment