Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Shack

While in Manila to work on our missionary visas, I was able to get the book The Shack. It is fiction, but a powerful parable. I am still meditating on the many spiritual truths it contains. Many have a shack in life including me. No I haven't had the same experiences as any of the characters but I have had pain and loss that have left me with many questions. I have struggled with striving to earn God's love. But over and over God is speaking truth to my heart that it is not about rules. It is about relationship. It is about love; His love for me. Unlike so many human relationships, His love is not based on what I do or don't do. As we are here to minister, I have found God is teaching us so much, some things that are difficult to express as of yet but I'll keep listening as He continues to reveal Himself.

Lisa

Here's a link: www.theshackbook.com

4 comments:

  1. I expect you to delete this comment, but I hope that you will answer me. What did you really feel about the book? A friend told me about it and she scared me so I won't read it. She told me it was cultish, if that is a word. She told me that I would never think of God the same again. Has the book changed your view of God?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Shack does challenge traditional thinking so yes, it did change my view of God. I believe in a good way. I highly recommend reading it. It honestly is one of the best books I have read in a long time. I realize there is a great deal of controversy about this book. There is nothing in the book that I found to be contrary to Scripture. Did your friend read the book or was she just talking about what she had heard?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa and Tom,
    Curious coincidence..., I was just recommending "The Shack" to a friend, and then opened your site. This year's CDTS it was required reading. I loved it, and recommend it to anyone who desires to know God deeply!
    Love to you!
    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  4. At your (Lisa's) suggestion, I am in the midst of the book now and it is hard to put down. At the Family Christian Bookstore they told me that it is being requested a lot. I'll have to give you final opinion when finished. Love, Mom B

    ReplyDelete