Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Interesting Twists

Tonight, I was somewhat at a loss as to what to put into the blog. Because we couldn't get internet in our room, I headed to the 2nd floor lounge of our dorm to be closer to the router. Of course, I was thinking of what I should share about our day.

As I sat up here trying to get the router and my computer to play nicely together, I got drawn into an English/Korean language lesson. It is a combo, because Liz from Pennsylvania is trying to help Eok from Korea with his English while he helps her with Korean. It has been interesting to try to explain some of the silly English quirks. I tried to help Eok with the difference between cloth, clothe, clothes, and close. He can easily understand the meaning, but pronunciation can be difficult. Everyone had to laugh as we tried to enunciate the difference between clothes and close. Of course we never think about the complicated twists our tongue has to do to say clothes. In the end we even realized that many Americans don't pronounce it right. So as long as he understands the difference between the words and their spellings, he could probably get along fine pronouncing clothes as close.

Of course as I write this, you might not be sure whether I was writing about what you do with a door, close; or your position in relation to another, close. I assure you I am talking about close.

I will bring it to a close now,
Tom

8 comments:

  1. You know, I cluelessly thought about going to Harvest last night to wash clothes, because I couldn't close the dryer door in our laundry room because a cloth was stuck in the closing . . . HAD I gone to your building (which is close by), I might have encountered this seemingly closed discussion on the cloth couch. Now THAT was a close call!!! My interruption might have been totally misunderstood . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I cluelessly thought about going to Harvest last night to wash clothes. The dryer door in our laundry room wouldn't close because a cloth was stuck in the closing. It's probably best that I changed my (otherwise closed) mind, because my interruption of your cross culture close encounter on the cloth couch might have been completely misunderstood. . . now THAT was a close call!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can have another good laugh when we tell Eric that you thought his name was Eok. ;) Of course, all the guys in the dorm just call him Hyun-Woo

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can have another good laugh together when we tell Eric that you thought his name was Eok. ;) Of course, the guys in Canaan land just call him Hyun-Woo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, it was John (Eok), Jewell's husband. Not Eric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So 10 weeks into this place and I'm still learning names... I'll have them all down in another 3 or 4 wee... oh wait...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I really thought that your post was very funny.....until I read the comment from shirleywoff. That was good!! Thanks to both of you for making me laugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahahahaha!! we loved the playing around with our peculiar language here in MI, too!!

    mr.ed and momma_maxwell

    ReplyDelete