Friday, September 21, 2007

Awesome news from Kakabay!

There’s a new name written down in glory! Today Alayna and I had the opportunity to return to Kakabay with some others from our group. I had the opportunity to lead my friend Robuan to our Lord, Jesus. I was not sure at first whether this elder in his community was just being polite to his new western friend. But when he agreed to profess his new faith through water baptism I knew it meant something much more. It is one thing to entertain a guest at your porch, quite another for a man with limited mobility to make his way down the bank to be baptized in full view of his village. I was honored to be able to join in his baptism. It was a wonderful experience. What a great thing it is to be a laborer in our Lord’s work!
Robuan's baptism
Me with Robuan and his wife Teresita (the little boy in the background is the youngest of their 10 children) Of course other things happened in Kakabay as well. While we were given a more extensive tour of the village, our friend Denny, Alayna, and I were given the opportunity to pray for another man in the village who was sick in bed. We felt honored to be invited into his house to pray.
The kids from the village were with us wherever we went. During our hike, we came to a clearing at a bend in the river. Several of the boys were quickly naked and jumping in from the high banks on the other side. Many girls were swimming too; but only the youngest were naked. One of the guys from the group took of his shoes and shirt and jumped in as well. When we returned to the school at the front of the village, we made lots of animal balloons. Somebody spoke of my balloon ministry. I had never thought of it that way, but I can see how the Lord can use even silly, little talents for His glory.
Alexie and Adriana had the opportunity to work with one of the local ladies to learn to weave baskets from magazines. They are quite colorful and attractive. Valley Cathedral works with a co-op in Canada, shipping items from local crafters to Canada for sale. The proceeds are used to provide needed income for the people here.


Adriana, Alexie, and Eden working on baskets (Jesse and Baby in the background)Grace,
Tom

4 comments:

  1. Gosh....just not sure where to start right now...my name is Heidi, I am best friends with Louise Helder. I happen to live in Red Deer (I also know the Traptow's and was Matthew's Shepard last year)....anyhow, I have been following your journey and just want to tell you what a blessing it has been. I was just listening to the children singing and remember fondly many months ago now when the Helders were in small villages and would post video of the church's worship time. Your clip brought tears to my eyes and goosebumps from head to tow, I cannot even begin to imagine how it would have felt to be there in person. I pray that God just allows you to feel and be present in every single moment that you are blessed to be a part of while you are in PI.
    Keep up all of your hard work. Your Father is smiling from ear to ear right now at your whole team, so excited to see the fruits of your many labors.
    Always
    Heidi
    PS - Isn't it the most exciting thing to get to baptize someone? I just had the blessing a couple of weeks ago to baptize my mom and her best friend. It was amazing.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, Awesome, Breathtaking. I will say it again...You guys are amazing. What an honor the Lord gave you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halleluiah! Set another place at the table! I just heard that song when I first read your post. Exciting! Getting ready to go to church and wanted to post this before we left. Tom, didn't you take the balloon pump? It looks like you are laboring a bit blowing up the balloons! Did you say BASKETS!? Tell Alexie and Adriana they will have to teach me how to make them when you all come home!
    Love to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome aboard, Heidi. It is good to hear from those who are peeking into our lives. Yes, the baptism is a highpoint of my trip so far.

    Yes, Brenda, I brought a pump. Somebody else was using it. These balloons were unreal!!! But the kids loved them, as always.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete