Friday, September 28, 2007

Good-bye Valley Cathedral, Hello Baguio

Sorry for the delay, things have been a little busy. It seems odd to me that of all of the modern conveniences I miss, internet access in my room is what I most miss. I like being able to check email and leisurely read friends’ blogs. I suppose it helps to reduce the distance between where I am and the familiar.

Before we arrived in the Philippines, a cargo ship had been blown ashore during a storm in a village near Valley Cathedral. The men from the ship were doing their best to survive until the ship could either be pulled back out to sea or the owner decided to return them to their home. One of the staff from Valley had been bringing them food and visiting with them (survival was not an overstatement of their situation). I had the chance to visit with them once at the ship. It is hard to imagine the storm it must have been to so thoroughly ground them. Several of them also accompanied us to Kakabay when Robuan became a believer and was baptized. As time progressed, many of them began showing interest in what true Christianity looks like.

Monday, we made arrangements to show the Jesus Video in the Tagolog language. Due to the potential for rain, Pastor Tang and I went to the school that is along the coast where the ship is. They have a shelter that would keep the projection equipment safe in the event of rain. Not only did the principal allow us permission to use the shelter, she invited the church to come in and make anti-drug and other presentations. Thank God for open doors!

When it came time to set up for the show, the rain and wind were incredible. There was no way we would be able to keep the screen from blowing away and the noise from the storm was too much for the sound system. Although we had really hoped to be able to show it right at the ship so that all of the 20 or so crew members might watch it, we had to change our plans. After a few phone calls, we got permission to provide dinner to all who were interested in returning to the orphanage to watch the show. In all, 10 of the crew attended our “dinner theater”. It was a much nicer setting than our original plan.

After watching the show, all 10 of the men decided to ask Jesus to be their leader! As we were talking after the movie, some of them appeared very eager for us to show them what the next step was. How awesome to be part of God’s work! We were able to give each of them a Tagolog Bible and since their ship isn’t going anywhere too soon, I pray that they will have a chance for some discipleship before they head home.

Tuesday night there was a going away party for our group at the orphanage. It was fun and the food was good. Many kind words were said by both our group and the people associated with Valley Cathedral. Adriana shared with the group how hard it would be to leave because it had become like home to her. She hopes that she will be able to return soon. But most surprising and wonderful to me was when they brought my friend Ranier and many of the children from Kakabay in to sing and dance as part of the presentation. I wept as I listened and watched. The only thing that could have made it better was if I could have seen Robuan once more before I left.

Then I was asked if I wanted to accompany the group back to Kakabay. On the way the girls sang several songs. It was beautiful.

When we got to the village, we woke up Robuan and his family. (It was about 10:00 p.m. when we got there.) We sat and talked over a small kerosene lantern for a while. During my previous visit, Robuan had said that friends visit each other. I was so pleased to be able to visit with him once more before we left. I teased him that since I visited him in Kakabay, now he needed to visit me in the USA. I told him I would take him ice fishing. (Ice fishing is a comical discussion in the Philippines!)


Grace,
Tom

Hurry, hurry, the bus arrived early. Gobble a quick breakfast. Last minute photographs. Stuff damp laundry into duffle bags. One last hug for Emman and a prayer too. I will miss him so. The pain in my eyes (Thomas, Adriana, and I now have pink eye) is only exceeded by the pain in my heart…

I spent the first few hours of the bus ride looking out the window taking in all the sights. Frequently tears would stream down my cheeks. I waved at all the people I saw. It is amazing the affect this simple gesture had on the people. They would smile and wave as if I was a long time friend. I really love these people!

The Philippines:
Trikes
Horns honking
Always more vehicles than space can allow
Palm trees
Rain pouring down
Scrawny dogs everywhere
Laundry hanging out to dry
Chickens
Caribou grazing
Street vendors
Coca Cola signs – sounds good but as it is warm, not so refreshing
Children in school uniforms
Umbrellas rain or shine
Fire ants
Various shades of brown skin
Glossy black hair
Homes that look like they will tumble with the next gust of wind
Litter everywhere, especially in every body of water
Fans
Bandanas
Flip flops
Such poverty but yet the people bless me so

Journey to Baguio:
Large, spacious bus
Air conditioned
Movies showing
Bread passed around
Really need to use a C.R.
Traffic jam
Finally, a CR – bring your own paper
Jolly Bee – burger, fries, and a Coke for lunch
Back in the bus
More movies
Busy roads
No traffic signs to guide such as traffic signs. Not that the one or two I’ve seen are followed, so why bother?
C.R. stop – 2 pesos per person, b.y.o.p.
Seems like a long time driving – maybe because it has been
Rain pours down
Winding roads up the mountain
Finally, a familiar face; Harry climbs on board and guides the driver for the last of the journey
Guys unload in the rain
Harry and Dee’s place is cute and cozy
Directed across the street and behind the first building to our home for the week
We’ll be sharing with the Traptows
Downstairs kitchen, living room, and comfort room
Upstairs 3 bedrooms and comfort room
Our family in one room – two sets of bunk beds
Turned on the tap, no water. that's when I noticed the sign on the wall

Running water on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday
At first glance, no shower
Silly us! We’re not in the U.S. Those buckets of water with the dipper – that’s the shower.
Remember, no paper in the toilet.
Toilets don’t flush – see buckets and dipper
One foot square hole in the wall to let in fresh air

Welcome to the mission field!


Just a few of my thoughts...

Lisa



6 comments:

  1. Welcome to Baguio! I believe you are staying at the same house we did... Careful for roaches, my feet were swollen with bites for the first few days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, you will be glad to hear that one member of the boat crew, Lao, is now back in Zamboanga,Mindanao, and is staying true to his comittment to follow the Lord Jesus. He has found an Alliance church to attend in Zamboanga City, and continues to keep in touch, letting me know how happy he is that we showed him the way of salvation through the Lord Jesus Christ. He has a Tagalog version of the Jesus movie with him and plans to show it to his friends and family. Lao has resigned from the ship and plans to enter Caregiving, with the hope to one day work and live in Canada. Keep praying for Lao.

    Your fellow servant in Christ,
    Greg Cox
    Valley Cathedral Ministries

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom, you will be glad to hear that one member of the boat crew, Lao, is now back in Zamboanga,Mindanao, and is staying true to his comittment to follow the Lord Jesus. He has found an Alliance church to attend in Zamboanga City, and continues to keep in touch, letting me know how happy he is that we showed him the way of salvation through the Lord Jesus Christ. He has a Tagalog version of the Jesus movie with him and plans to show it to his friends and family. Lao has resigned from the ship and plans to enter Caregiving, with the hope to one day work and live in Canada. Keep praying for Lao.

    Your fellow servant in Christ,
    Greg Cox
    Valley Cathedral Ministries

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mabuhay Friends:

    My name is Kevin McNelly in Chattanooga, Tennessee. I was searching for information on the net and came across your blog. I, too, lived in the Province of Cavite and worked with Mommy Zelma, Pete and Lita at Valley Cathedral. It all started back in 1997. I love the photos, stories, and memories.

    Blessings on you and your tribe as you serve the Lord. Would love to hear more about your time in the Philippines.

    The squatters village next to VCCH is where I left my heart and hope to pick it up one day:) Kevin

    kevin@chattanoogamatters.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your blogs.I am familiar with tatay Robuan.I also stayed there for Community Immersion for 1 month.tatay Robuan is like a father to me and we have the same date of birthday.This Coming May 26 I will have feeding program for the children.My covenant every year since 2004.

    This is nikki from Makati but lived in Cavite before.I am a teacher and a missionary too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nikki, it is great to hear from you. God bless you as you continue to serve Him and those in need.

    ReplyDelete