Monday, September 24, 2007

Various Topics

TOYS
Friday night is movie night at Valley Cathedral Children’s Home. This is a much anticipated treat for the boys and girls here. It is amazing to see how they entertain themselves the rest of the time. Sure there are swings and a merry-go-round here. They even get out bicycles some afternoons for the children to share. But usually the boys and girls entertain themselves with simple toys such as bottlecaps or bottles with strings tied around them. The other day, several of the boys were thrilled to have paper airplanes to play with, while Emman, my tutoring buddy was excited to have a paper boat. Saturday, Adriana joined some of the Filipino girls in a game similar to jump rope. The girls had a big circle of rope created by tying several bits of string together. Two girls positioned themselves at the ends while another jumped the strings in the middle. The girls would raise the string higher and higher to make it more challenging even up to their waists.

RAIN, RAIN, GO AWAY
Saturday afternoon our family was going to return to Kakabay but the rain pouring down made access not possible, even dangerous. Think mudslides. This was disappointing and sad as we were going along with those bringing food to the village. For some it would have been their only meal of the day. Thomas said one of the boys that lives there, Arnold, only eats whenever his mother is able to sell things gathered from the nearby garbage dump. I am so blessed I have no idea what this must be like.

CELEBRITIES
It seems wherever we go we are treated as special. The people here think our white skin and blonde hair are very beautiful. Our girls often have people playing with their hair and calling them dolls. This bothers me especially when I heard the Filipinos often bleach their skin and hair. Many think the lighter your skin and hair the more beautiful you are. I do look at my girls and think they are beautiful but I look at the dark skin and hair of my new friends and think they are just as, if not more, beautiful. I want them to know God made them beautiful.

Besides all the compliments on our physical appearance, the girls are frequently showered with gifts. The children of the orphanage and the surrounding poor villages give food and items such as china figurines. One of the cooks here, Eden, gave each of our girls a paper basket she made. The small one she crafted for Annalise took her four hours to make and the other girls were given larger ones. I am overwhelmed by the generosity of those around me that have so little.


ILLNESS
Annalise really looks like a celebrity now; she has pink eye and is wearing sunglasses. Overall, the pink eye epidemic is slowing down. But it has finally entered our home.

Adriana’s mystery rash has disappeared.

NEXT MOVE
Wednesday morning, we will leave for Baguio. It will be difficult to say good-bye. Many of the children, and staff, have become like family.

Adriana, Mot, and Jenny





Thomas' buddy, Jason


Annalise having her hair stroked by a friend

Jump rope


4 comments:

  1. They are SO beautiful and angelic looking! I wish you could bring them all home to me! I can't even imagine how hard it will be to leave them! I am so excited that they got to have your family there to play with them and to hold them!! I LOVE THE PICTURES!! I wish that I could be there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will actually be home this evening! (How refreshing!!) I am going to try to get mom on so she can do a little catch up. Glad Adriana is better, and hope Annalise is doing okay...no more arrows, right?! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom, what a blessing to be able to read a little about your daily activities.
    My blessings and much love to ALL of you
    Today, Bagio----wished i was there with you

    love from christa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at the valley cathedral off and on for 2 years and I think about it everyday. thank you for sharing your pictures and i to got a basket made by eden. her son patrick is also amazing thanks again

    ReplyDelete