Sunday, September 16, 2007

A Busy Weekend!

Saturday was an awesome day of ministry for our family, despite the fact that I was involved. Valley Cathedral has a ministry to provide meals to people. In the morning, about 50 people came to the orphanage for a meal. While they were here, our group was to provide entertainment and a gospel message for the kids that gathered. I was quickly frustrated by how some things didn’t go the way I felt they should have. (I could argue my case, but you know I am, of course, right.) Regardless, things went well and the kids appeared to have a good time.

Later, we went to a mountain village, Kakabay, which has a satellite Valley Cathedral school for young children and did the same stuff. I was reluctant to set up the puppet stage and nearly had everyone convinced of the same when the pastor and the Holy Spirit convicted all of us that we definitely needed to do so. Suddenly, my attitude was better and I had a great time. I feel we really blessed the people there, but I am sure that I was really blessed there. We handed out balloons. We sang with the people. We put on a few puppet shows. (For those who know Mot, the monkey puppet who has accompanied us on other mission trips, he continues to be a hit wherever he goes.) Alexie and Adriana both did a great job with their puppet shows. All of the girls did well (and have done well every time) mixing with the children we meet. Our friend Leon followed his heart and gave a great teaching about being so filled with God that we overflow. Then, we prayed for any who desired. It was a great time.

One thing that was a little different for our puppet shows is that our translator was a puppet as well. Pastor Tang was a good sport and agreed to try his hand at puppeteering while introducing and translating the puppet shows. He captured the attention of the audience immediately.

The natural beauty surrounding the village is tremendous. The people are beautiful and kind. But it is located beyond a slowly burning trash dump. The road back to the village was difficult for the motorcycle trikes and the vehicle I rode in. In fact, we had to walk the last 100 yards or so because it was too difficult for our vehicle. The huts are built primarily of bamboo and thatched or metal roofs. I understand about 100 people live in the village.

The school has two adjacent rooms; one with walls, the other has only the wall dividing the two with bamboo benches forming the remaining partitions. The enclosed room is well decorated considering the situation of the residents of the village.

As we left, the boys were playing basketball. I really would have liked to stay longer and talk with the people, play basketball and see more of what life was like in the village. We have another opportunity to go to the village on Tuesday. I look forward to it.

Today our family, along with others from our group did more puppets and singing for the children’s church at Valley Cathedral. All of the girls were involved with the puppets, even Annalise got in on the act.

After church, Lisa, Doc, and I led a leadership seminar for the pastoral leadership of the church here. Doc did the lecture portion. Lisa and I facilitated some experiential learning activities that involve teamwork and leadership. The activities went very well. There was a lot of applause and laughter as the group worked through the activities and discussed them afterward. I feel we were an encouragement to the team. (Although for those of you who have participated in the Nuclear Blast exercise before, I have never seen it play out quite like it did here.)
Grace,
Tom

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME AWESOME! I am so proud of your family, and I dont even know you :) Your girls seem to be doing sooo well! Its really great to hear about their involvement. The Maxwell family rocks. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom/Lisa

    I want to Thank you and Lisa for your small group leadership. Our experiences here so far are enriched by your wisdom and love to serve others. I am praying for you and your family as we continue to have a blast of a time.

    ReplyDelete