Monday, June 23, 2008

MRP

Friday I joined several regional pastors to discuss plans for the Moral Recovery Program. During our time here last fall, several members of our team went every Monday morning to facilitate this teaching time for the local and national police force here in Bontoc. Beyond the morality and integrity which the program espouses for community leaders, I am excited about this ministry because of the potential it has for forging relationships with the officers in the community.

This is a great opportunity to reach out to the men who serve this community. While there are a number of women who serve as well, my heart is to connect with these men and help them overcome the common sentiment that faith is a concept reserved for women and children.

Please pray that men will embrace Christ and His church.

Update…
Since we are behind in posting, I will add this morning’s adventure to this post as well.

It had been my intention to sit in on the presentation and see what people are doing during this time. I had not prepared anything to speak. I had no teambuilding activity in mind. I was going just to watch. It appears that either God or man had different plans. The person I was expecting to meet at the Philippine National Police barracks this morning never arrived. After the flag ceremony was completed, we went into the meeting room and I was introduced as this morning’s speaker. Passages such as, “Lean not on your own understanding,” “Be prepared in season and out of season to give an answer for the hope that is in you,” and “Do not worry about what to say or how to say it…” were going through my mind as I prayed before, during, and after my introduction.

In the end, the Lord gave me 1 Corinthians 15:14, “And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith.” This may be an odd passage for the Moral Recovery Program perhaps, but ideal as an introduction and exhortation. I was prompted to share how the truth of Jesus’ resurrection is why my family has traveled to Bontoc. If the resurrection is just something we pretend, it is a meaningless conversation. If however, it is real, then it becomes the cornerstone upon which our lives must be built.

I would have been more comfortable learning how others present during the program or if I had prepared, but sometimes God stretches us for His purposes. May He be glorified in our weakness.

Grace,
Tom

(The picture is from last year when we were here.)

1 comment:

  1. It's good to hear that you are working among the police again! That was among my best memories of our time there last fall. Thank you for being bold enough to speak from the heart on short, or no notice!
    Give the ladies a big hug for me!
    Fred

    ReplyDelete