Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Calvary Gospel School of Ministry


Today I began a two-week teaching series on Christian education for the Calvary Gospel School of Ministry. I was invited to speak by a pastor who is part of the steering committee for the Moral Recovery Program.

But as often happens, what I was expecting was somewhat different than what I encountered.
I was expecting to be teaching to the 12 second year students. It turns out that because I was coming, the school decided to have the first year students attend as well. This would not be a huge problem, but I had prepared handouts and activities for 12 and needed to be prepared for about 30.
This is an important consideration because of the language barrier. Most of the students are not confident in speaking English. A few are very limited in their understanding of English. I had anticipated that this may be the case and created a number of handouts so they could follow along easier. But the extra copy did not cover the additional students. I let fellow YWAMer, Pastor Rudy, use the extra copy since he was asked to translate as we went along. (I am glad he came.)
The other challenge that I faced today is the reluctance of the students to ask or answer questions. I do not like to lecture; I prefer lots of interactions with the students. But in most of my experiences so far, quietness reigns. Most came up to me afterward saying thank you and shook my hand even though they had been so quiet in class.
Okay, enough complaining.
I did enjoy teaching today. I am excited about all of these students eager to learn more about serving God's people. I think it is great that the school is available to them. I pray that what I present to them is relevant and will be useful.
Grace,
Tom

3 comments:

  1. Would be happy to give you the info on Gota village - it is an amazing place! If you ever do make it down this direction, we will have to connect with you guys for sure. FYI, we don't have family here either that can watch the kids - "Uncle" Terry and "Aunt" Michaelle are actually coworkers. The longer you are here, the more coworkers become like family and do the things that family normally does for one another. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, it is a good thing there weren't any management observers present. Think of the ESATs and Performance Improvement Plans. Sorry couldn't help myself. I'm sure God is more pleased with you teaching children "The Message," than he was with you teaching RP techs how to read procedures. Keep up the fantastic work.
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry,
    Good to hear from you. I would have been severely beaten for not being adequately prepared and for lack of student participation.

    If you read the next post you will see another thing that never happened in a classroom full of RP techs. I had students cry in my class before, but never so many. (Not even in QVEP.)

    It is funny how God used my time as an instructor there to prepare me to teach people how to teach here.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete