Friday, August 22, 2008

Fire Department

Today, Lisa and I had the opportunity to meet some of the men from the local fire department. No, there was no fire. I had just been looking for an opportunity to meet them. In preparation for a team building activity I would like to do, I was wondering if they had any damaged fire hose around. Well they didn't, but it gave me an excuse to go to the fire station.

We talked about their work and how I had helped with the fire brigade for a number of years while I still worked at the plant. I really enjoyed the training. It was sad to find out about their equipment, however. They have only turn-out coats and boots. They don't have air tanks or turn-out pants. Their engine doesn't run. But they, like most emergency service personnel, are a creative bunch. They have found ways to make the most of what they have. They are also very dedicated. Of the four men we met, the rookie had 8 years with the service.

When they found out that I am an EMT, they asked if I would be willing to visit and teach them some medical skills. I don't know how much I will be able to offer them. But I look forward to the opportunity to get to know these men more and help them to better help people in their time of need.
Before leaving, we were able to pray for them. I was honored to have had this opportunity today.

Grace,
Tom
p.s. I just threw the picture in for fun. See, I had longer hair once.

No comments:

Post a Comment