Thursday, June 14, 2007

Bicycles

Today, I took some time and went for a bicycle ride into town. I put in about 9 miles. Not much unless you are really out of shape and riding some good hills; both true statements. Even though my thighs were complaining, it was nice to have some time on my own.

After dinner and kitchen clean-up duty, I had another bicycle related adventure. Two college-age sisters in the English class (Lynn, in yellow, and Belle) did not know how to ride a bike. After some lessons on the grass and eventually the parking lot, they were both able to ride. They were so excited and I was so happy for them. It was also fun to see the camaraderie that has already developed on the base. People were congratulating the girls from their windows or as they walked through the parking lot.

I keep trying to learn a few things in Korean, but all I do is end up amazed at people who have the drive to learn a new language and culture. I suppose it will happen somewhere in my future, but I certainly don't have a natural ability to learn languages. It's work! Adriana has spent a lot of time talking with the students. Perhaps she will be able to teach me someday. Of course, if you stand next to Annalise when she is playing with some of the Korean kids, she talks with a confidence that would make you believe she already knows the language.

During a break earlier in the day we had gathered a bunch of the kids that are on the base and went letterboxing. I found that there is a letterbox that is supposed to be hidden near the entrance of the base. Unfortunately we weren't able to find it. (We haven't done well recently.) But I think everyone enjoyed the adventure of it anyway.

Grace,
Tom

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! We get so busy we forget the joys of learning something new!Joe is convinced that Annalise can speak many languages - none of which he knows!
    Blessings, and thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! How neat to be able to learn so much from others from another culture, and to teach them new things too! I am wondering if the children Annalise are speaking with will learn things like "putting their woos on" and "wooperman". Ah, one never knows! Just wanted to let you know that Dad looked at the pics today. We'll get him back later to read...not enough time today! Love you! Aunt Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas
    FYI - Please consider joining us some weekend - Village Baptist Church in Beaverton has a thriving Korean fellowship. We worship together and have a Korean translation service on Sundays at 10 am.

    See us on the web at www.vbconline.org

    Thanks
    bg

    ReplyDelete