Sunday, June 24, 2007

Brazilian BBQ

YeeHaaw for Saturdays! While class has been very enjoyable, it was good to have a day off. The girls enjoyed free time around the campus. Lisa enjoyed getting to know some of our new friends better. I enjoyed helping a family (cousins, grandparents, the whole works) on the ropes course. We even hoisted a woman at 6 months pregnant with twins up on the flying squirrel! It was a lot of fun.

My timing was perfect. While it was in no way planned (of course I would have planned it if I had known), the ropes course staff was having a Brazilian BBQ for dinner. We were blessed to be invited.


Sal and Loly hosted it at their house (right on the base). Sal grilled up some awesome beef, pork, and chicken. They are from Brazil but have recently returned from Moscow, where they have been for the past 10 years or so. Sal is working with the course so he can learn the ropes to start that ministry back in Brazil. (I know, that was a bad joke. But you've already read it now so there's no taking it back.) Loly is currently working with Annalise's class in COD. They have 3 wonderful daughters that have become close friends of Alexie, Alayna, and Annalise.


A Brazilian BBQ is a very social event. They don't follow the American plan of cooking the meat, everybody getting as much as they want, and calling it an evening. Instead, they cook up more meat than you could expect the group to eat. Then the host cuts a small piece of meat off for you right from the grill. In this way, you are never satisfied and keep coming back. I know that when I was full, I had eaten more than I should have and that there was still plenty left. Sal has told me how hospitality and social gatherings are of great importance in Brazil.

I also found out that today is the Midsummer Holiday, or Jani, in Latvia. So be sure to wish any Latvian friends well today.


Another thing to ponder from Annalise's prayer tonight: God is real. He is not pretend.

Grace,
Tom

1 comment:

  1. Good morning!
    We are running around like crazy this weekend preparing for our last training session before heading to Mexico and loading the cars with everything needed for VBS! I was just wondering if I'll get everything done in time and decided to just stop and go to the garden of grace. Out of the mouths of babes - God is real, He is not pretend. What a way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete