Thursday, June 7, 2007

Day 4

We made good progress today. We caught up to our planned stop at Cody, Wyoming. Not as much tourism today, although we still did some sightseeing as we drove. We were again awed by God's creativity. The mountains were spectacular. They looked impressive from a distance with the snow still on them. As we drove through we were captivated by the size and elevation. (I think our highest point was about 8900'.) Unfortunately, the clouds obscured our view of the top when were were at the bottom and pretty much everything when we were at the top.

It wasn't mentioned early enough for me to act on. But we did talk about stopping and having a snowball fight. Just so we could say we did - on a mountain, in Wyoming, in June. But not all was lost, I did drive through snow today. (On the car and pavement, not just along the sides of the road.)

The scenery was beautiful. As I have already mentioned, we have enjoyed the variety of terrain. We have also enjoyed the different animals we have gotten to see such as antelope, moose (see pictures below), porcupine, and prairie dogs (yesterday in the Badlands).

Before we left the park, we stopped at the Shell Falls. Once again, our compliments to the Creator. He really does good work!

The girls have done very well travelling. They have gotten along pretty well, especially considering the situation. That has been a real blessing. Today, Annalise told me she liked it when I take a day off work.

We then headed to Meeteetse. There is a YWAM base there: Western Frontiers. We were able to talk with a few folks there before we joined in Cowboy Church. They are having Rodeo Bible Camp this week. I am certainly no cowboy and my shorts, tennis shoes, and lack of a ten-gallon hat were certainly out of place. Besides the fact that it was about 50 degrees and rainy during this tent meeting. Someone was kind enough to share an extra coat with me and a blanket with the girls. (I had brought a sweater in the luggage that is easily accessible, but two of my daughters left theirs on the table at home, so we were redistributing.)

Adriana really seemed to have had a deep spiritual experience. In the morning I look forward to talking with her about it. It didn't seem appropriate to do so tonight. There was an altar-call and she went forward. I was torn as to what to do. I wanted to join her and stand with her. Yet, I felt it was important for her to have spiritual experiences without me being right there, so it could be hers. She did mention it was a little uncomfortable to be there without Lisa or me standing with her. I suppose a little bird feels a little uncomfortable the first time it leaves the nest, also.

Then it was off to Cody to find a hotel for the night. This was a somewhat difficult process. For some reason, most were booked or outrageously priced. In the end, we are here. Everyone is sleeping. I carried Annalise and Alayna in from the van and put them to bed. We didn't even bother getting our luggage from the van tonight. (Other than the computer and a battery charger since our camera batteries died on us.) It will be a busy morning and a long day of travel tomorrow. Hopefully, the weather will be conducive to a walk in Yellowstone.

Grace,
Tom

p.s. We love to get blog comments...

6 comments:

  1. Hi from Mom & Dad B...we are thrilled to read each morning as we prepare for our day, your journal of the day before. The pictures have been great. Hugs to all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, guys!

    Have you considered how these late-night postings are screwing up your body clock? You are going to turn into one of "those" people who will no longer appreciate the Chuck, Tom and Joe early morning show! When we do a mission with you, you will have become the hunted rather than the hunter. We have no mercy! It is supposed to be in the 90's today here so you must be in heaven (not just because you are higher). Can't wait for tomorrow's mail.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe,

    Annalise and I are the only early risers in the bunch. And I justify staying up later by saying that we are changing time zones, But yes, we have gone to the extreme. Oh well, contrary to your (years and years of) experience, the world doesn't stop spinning between 9 pm and 5 am.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Joe, I just want to set the record straight that I have been the one waking everyone else up every morning except today when Annalise did. Thomas can't be both a night owl and an early bird. Maybe when life gets to the new normal, it will Thomas and Annalise telling the rest of us rise and shine.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tom, Lisa and Girls!

    You are so right that God is an awesome creator! I have loved our travels in the West when we lived there. So different from the Midwest and South, but soooo beautiful.
    I am glad things are going safely and love seeing the pictures and hearing about the trip.

    Well need to get back to the day-- the pool is calling us today. Until later...

    Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Adriana, Alexie, Alayna and Annalise! I'm sure glad your Dad bailed you out of jail! I almost missed seeing Annalise in the background. We received our T-shirts and journals for Mexico, so now I'm ready to go!
    Love you,
    Emmer
    P.S. Alayna gets my vote for president!

    ReplyDelete